RE: [RC] FEI Championships - Tracey Lomax

Heidi wrote:

>>It's just as fair as any other sport that requires team participation--hockey, basketball, volleyball, relay races, etc.

[Reply] But I have never considered any of the equestrian sports to be “team” sports.  Well, other than the horse-rider team, that is.  Showjumping, dressage, eventing all allow for team and individual medals.  Why would it be better for endurance to have only a team medal?  At the end of the day, the wealthier countries, fielding more riders, would always have the advantage, surely?

>>And since it is something that would be known going in, no one would be "denied" anything--if a rider wants to come and ride for the experience and the completion, so be it.

[Reply] If they knew that going in, yes, nobody would be “denied” anything.  I’m just not sure it’s a good way to get people to participate in the WORLD games.

 >>It isn't any different in terms of that sort of "fairness" than at continental championships, where riders from off-continent are not allowed to earn medals.  And yet, I know that when I chaired the OC for the Pan-Am in Bend in '97, we had riders from Denmark and Germany (and I think from another non-Pan-Am country or two) who cheerfully rode.  Had they been in the first three places, they would not have earned the medals--nor would they have earned a team medal had their team had one of the best three team times.  (And yes, Denmark fielded enough riders for a team.)  Is that "fair?"  Yes, because it is how the event is set up in the first place, so riders know the rules going in.

[Reply]  You’re quite right about that.  I guess I just see it differently because I live in a third world country and I know how hard it is, and how much is sacrificed, to get even ONE rider to the games.  And I know how much it would mean to us as a country, and to our sport, if that rider came home with a medal.

Maybe you Yanks are just so spoiled for medals that it no longer matters J

Tracey