Re: [RC] Fast rides~Decade Plus Horses~ - Truman Prevatt

This question is as difficult to give a firm answer as the one about "average speed. There have been some phenomenal horses that could race for thousands of miles. However, just like every kid that touches a basketball is not going to be an NBA all star - not every horse in endurance is the next Rio. John Parke's pony just turned 10,000 miles over at least 10 years but he did it closer to the back of the pack than the front. Be it racing or riding - a long career on an endurance horse requires a good horse and good stewardship by the rider.

If a long term career is your goal focus on that. Train for that. If you find that you happen to have the next great horse, then you can turn up the speed at that point.

As far as average time - take a clue from the CTR folks. In most places a 6-7 mph rate is considered optimal. At least in the East the CTR's were originally based on the cavalry remount test and this number came from guidelines from the remount test. There is some information on the AERC website about how to condition. There is also a good article on the SERA website http://www.seraonline.org/Conditioning.pdf that has some targets for conditioning speeds.

The important thing is to get to know your horse and be able to read your horse. If you form a good bond with your horse you will be able to tell if you are going too fast, too slow or just right.

Truman

Mrs Christina Hykw wrote:
All this chatting about fast times had me wondering, do the horses that are being raced last a long time
in their career. I'm a newbie & my main reason for
trying this sport was an introduction to it by a friend
and I thought my horse would enjoy himself in it and
he does, so he is my main reason for trying distance
riding, now we both enjoyed ourselves and have been conditioning & saving dollars for riding in 2007.
Farrier issues held us back in '04-'05 & $$$ held us back in '06 (new house/car came first). SO, now we have a Distance riding savings account, and are hoping things will all come together for a full season.
My biggest concern is that he & I do this sport *together*, and a long time. I have been trying to get a grasp of a good average time to aim for....to keep in mind while training~ while all the LD/50 chat has lended over some ideas on what is average & what is too speedy, I would love to learn about what type of riding lends itself to longevity~
While I have other horses coming up,
I would love/hope/pray/train that this one
is for sure a longevity horse.
Thanks in advance & God Bless
~Christina~

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein