RE: [RC] fractured ribs in the equine - Mcgann, Barbara

We also had a mare with fractured ribs - in the midsection between her backbone and belly.    The big problem with ribs is strapping the saddle down tight over them.  This mare never did get completely sound, and in fact, would explode when saddled and flexed to that side.   She was fine in the pasture, not lame at all; but strap that saddle on tight and ride for a while and she would start hurting!  We used her as a broodmare after that.

Barb McGann

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Skyla Stewart
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:53
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] fractured ribs in the equine

I had one that broke the last rib clean off, left a big dent and we never did know where that rib ended up! Yikes! You want to talk about PAIN,  that was a very hard recovery to watch. Seems to me it was at least a couple of months before he was pasture comfortable. Ribs are NOT fun, regardless of what mammal you are. :oP  We were very careful with using Bute, as a false sense of feeling good was not good for the horse. I knew one other gal that had a horse with a broken back rib, same place, same big dent, never knew where that rib went either, but the horse went on to do many a miles.

Skyla

Do you Yahoo!?