[RC] electric fending - June Scheunemann & Mike Bernsdorf

We use the 1 1/2 inch electric tape(horse guard...just cuz it's heavier made)  for portable fencing but, we get the 5 ft step in posts and run 2 strands of the tape.  We have had really good luck this way with no horses running through the fence ....of course the biggest thing is to be consistent with the fencer in making sure it is on.  We also take tent stakes and pull the corner posts tight which keeps the tape firm.  Another thing we also like to do is use the solar garden style lamps as lights around the fencing...seems to keep the horses calmer having a "night light".  If the type of area is not available for putting up a small "stall" then I do prefer to tie to the trailer.  When Tyler goes to a ride he is always tied to the trailer being a stud.  Plus I use 2 halters a regular biothane one and then a rope halter over that one with 2 separate leads tying him.  He is a good boy but, I feel it's just my responsibility to make sure he is secure.  We have also taken extra precautions and run a tape fence around him even tied....especially in an area where more wildlife could spook other horses loose.  To say how good this "boy' is....had a friend's mare get out one night at a ride and she was quietly grazing behind our trailer almost next to Tyler...he was quietly munching his hay when all of us got up...yes he was watching her but, not talking just watching.

Ok enough bragging about Ty....going back to fencing...we have also seen where folks bring along regular T posts for the corner posts and then cover them with PVC then use the step in for the rest of the fencing....however I really recommend 2 strands.....and since we use the tape for all our fencing at home our guys are use to it and really don't challenge it at all.

June

Equine Enterprises
June Scheunemann
Mike Bernsdorf