[RC] CTR & Endurance - Jonni

It is unfortunate that mis-truths happen between both sports. I have heard uneducated CTR riders say they hear endurance rides have horses who die at lots of rides from over-riding, that a lame horse is usually allowed to continue, the riders are rude, and unfriendly etc. etc.  I have also heard endurance riders say that CTR's don't allow you to give your horse food in the middle of the night, no electrolytes are allowed, that judges will jump out of the bushes to try to spook your horse, and you can not talk on the trail.  The interesting part is, those who talk about the other sport in a very negative way, have usually never done a ride with that organization.

I like what Jeanie said: >>It really doesn't matter, whatever one rides whether comp or end, just abide by the rules.  Play the game for each one<<

I still can never figure why people can get an attitude of us v. them.  They are different sports, but also very much the same. Both are distance rides, using trail systems all over North America. I try to support both, so I am supporting the trails. If one does not want to compete at "the other" sport, why not go volunteer, just to help them keep the rides going?  I have found that it is easier to get CTR riders to come volunteer at AERC rides in our area, than the other way around. I'm not sure why that is, but it is unfortunate, as the CTR riders see that, and in turn, decide to not go volunteer the next time at a local AERC ride.  Here are a few links to some CTR organizations. Most have rule books on line, along with ride schedule etc.

Jonni in TX  (AERC and NATRC member )