[RC] scrathes remedy , - smuncy

----- Original Message -----
From: smuncy
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:55 PM
Subject: scrathes remedy

     There are several -   but --  what I used last year,  on one horse  who had never !  had scratches before,  and is pasture ornament - and no wet, 'heavy' pasture here;   but,  for whatever reason ,  he got  a  nasty case, out of the blue in August - not wet, go figure --
 I  washed and dried the  areas  with half strength betadine, or can use hibiclens - a chlorohexadrine product -(sorry about spelling for that one ) ;    once a day,  washed areas with soft scrub brush to loosen crust - .  then  I applied 'home made' mixture using  --   metroconazale cream - like used for  women's yeast infection -( cheaper than athletes' foot preparation), triple antibiotic ointment ( same / similair to  neosporin, bacitracin ointment,  and Desitin, or zinc oxide ointment, actually mixed one batch with some 'Swat'..  He had episodes for several weeks  last year, would clear up on or two legs, and 'broke out' on another. May not have been true scratches, but very similair - ( weepy, swelling, sore, with some swelling  looked like 'bad scrathes' ),  and treatment worked.  Treatment worked within couple days, to  healing  stage, ie, after about 3 - 4  days of washing appplying 'concoction' - went to mircotech  eq ? skin spray. If interested will - look and see what was - black bottle - retail. healed up in about a week.
   Think key is to remove scabs, apply combination anti - fungal and antibiotic, with sunscreen, protective barrier.  GL,
    Oops, make sure if use betadine or generic form of,  that use solution not scrub, and delute sol. to half strength -  betadine is caustic to normal tissue  ( broken skin ) - half strength ok.
 But better choice the chlorohexidrine / hibiclens* brandname.      Stephanie M