[RC] FEI vs. American endurance riding - Sarah Cavitt

I've been reading Ridecamp for several years, but I haven't yet done my first ride. So I'm far from an expert. Through the years, this subject has come up many times, with "important people" on both sides, and valid arguments with clear pros and cons to each side.

My personal opinion is that American-style endurance riding and FEI endurance racing are two different sports. Neither is inherently good or bad -- it's the individuals who participate that determine that -- but they are simply not the same thing.

In endurance racing, the emphasis is on speed, and the tracks are generally non-technical. It is a sport where to win is to win. I remember some reports of a race in the UAE saying that the finish line basically "closed down" once the leaders were in, not caring about the order of the stragglers or who ultimately finished. The style of racing is going to favor those with young fast horses, and it's not going to encourage sticking with the same horse over many years. Buy 'em, race 'em, discard 'em for the next fast one.

In endurance riding, there are people who ride fast, yes, but the technical trails require a different kind of fast. 100 miles at a gallop simply isn't going to happen. To finish is to win; you don't have to be competitive to participate or to be welcome. I don't know of awards for finishing x number of miles with one horse, but this is the type of sport where that could easily be created, and it would be honored and coveted if it did exist.

I, personally, wish they were officially two sports, and I don't want FEI involved in endurance riding. I just don't see any benefits to FEI, or at least I see none that outweigh the long list of drawbacks.

Sarah, who will slip back into lurking now.