[RC] unregistered purebreds - Barb Peck

I agree with the statement below posted by Lynn.

Just about all the breeds have had the book open at some point, and other blood
mixed in -
30 years ago, one could NEVER confuse a Morgan, Saddlebred or Arab- as they
were each dinstict looking types... lines and looks are kinda blurred now with
those 3 breeds.

Registration papers (In my opinion) are like a legal birth certificates.  Sire
and Dam, and lineage right there.

And I think any breeder would be just as proud to have bred a champion gelding
(as mare or stallion) as a rider is (or trainer) to have been involved with
getting the horse there.

Regardless of opinion though - in my area - it comes down to money.
You pay less for an un papered horse (UNLESS it's already a proven money-maker
in any discipline),

 We have a few shippers that bring in the West's rejects- arabs included - by
the hundreds of head -
and if a horse comes with papers, then his/her history is able to be traced -
that's always better IMO than not knowing.

Barb

IMO, without the "chain of evidence" provided by the registration pedigree (and
a registry that is totally anal about verifying the accuracy of that parentage
chain) one can't say that a horse is a pure-bred anything. It might look like
an Arabian (be phenotypically Arabian), but in its genes (genotypically) it
could be a mix. Which for the purposes of using a horse for pleasure or in a
sport might be just fine. But to be able to brag that a horse is a "pure bred
Arabian", you really need proof. Otherwise it is a very attractive and athletic
grade horse that looks like most people's concept of an Arabian.-
Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/