RE: [RC] Hoof Landing - Karen Standefer

In my opinion, the hoof should land flat or *slightly* heel first.  If it lands toe first, it is causing excessive wear on the joints and soft tissue.  Gene Ovnicek (will be at the Reno convention next month) has an excellent video showing the difference in what happens with the joints in a toe first landing.  You just want to make sure the hoof is NOT landing toe first.  Some say heel first is best, others agree flat is best.  Some others say the lateral side heel is suppose to land first.  I don’t know that there is an absolute right……certainly there is no research to show anything other than toe first is bad.

Karen