Re: [RC] hot shoeing - Pvan19

"ALL horse shoers place each new shoe against each of the horse's hooves to ascertain
whether that shoe correctly fits that hoof.  This is regardless of whether they cold
shoe or heat the shoe in a forge.  Clearly if a shoe is hot from the forge, a shoer
isn't going to plunge the hot shoe into cold water, THEN see if the shoe fits as that
would totally negate the several advantages of heating the shoe in the first place.
Thus, of necessity, the hot shoe IS placed against the horse's hoof.  Briefly putting
a hot shoe against a hoof is not "searing the shoe into the foot".  Further, most
shoers do not check the shoe when it is RED hot.  They first allow the shoe to cool
somewhat."

I mostly agree Diane but it does happen that a farrier will heat the shoe to shape it and choose not to apply it hot to the foot - especially with young horses or ones that are afraid of the smoke & smell when you ( indeed, very briefly) apply the somewhat cooled shoe to the hoof.. and ofcourse this is a definite no-no for horses with thin/sensitive feet/poor quality horn etc. - my farrier will cool the shoe to check the fit & reheat if necessary

We saw a farrier on a major ride this summer (here in France) litterally 'sear' the shoe into the hoof on a horse which had lost a shoe & vetted thru fine without it before being reshod. The foot was quite damaged & he had to plane it quite a bit to get a new seat for the shoe - ofcourse the horse was dead lame after this - ouch!

As for Kat's comments - I was a bit suprised to read these - sorry Kat but you made me feel like a 10-year old being corrected by her teacher  on language use... but maybe that's because I'm a foreigner... ( and excuse my english if there are any grammar, spelling or other mistakes!)

There is nothing like watching a hot shoe being worked on on a dark autumn afternoon by the way - I'm always fascinated by the red hot iron when it comes out of the forge - looks beautiful! And who doesn't go to have a look when you hear the rythmic banging of hammer on shoe & anvil at the barn? My husband is a farrier and even though I have seen this hundreds of times when he's working at his forge at home I still go & watch - absolutely love it, it's like being transported back in time.

The americans by the way make the best transportable forges - hubbie just bought one imported from the US and it's absolutely brillant!

Pauline