[RC] From Cathy/AF - DarkHorseGoddess

Shoot Chip... I did not answer your question... got carried way talking about riding... duhhhh..

>>As  for the Mpls Police Dept, I would assume most of their work is done at a walk on  level ground, which is not the same as 8 hours of trotting and galloping  over varied terrain.

Yes YOU are right, but some of the hardest miles on a horses back is walking.

>>While the flex-tree systems may work for some horses,  I was not happy with the one I
bought a couple years ago. It made my horse sore  over his loins after 50 miles,
something I found was true for some other people  who have tried them (some,
not all!).  I have been told ways I can possibly  correct this problem, and
have tried them,  but the bottom line is I would  have to risk soring him on
another 50 mile ride before I knew if these  corrections worked.

You are right.  Many time the panels were too long - no shimming can help that - a saddle problem, Many times the bars of the tree are too straight not allowing the panels to flex in the rear causing soreness - no shimming can help that - a saddle problem again.  Many panels were to stiff.... - again saddle problem.  YES you are right.  But some times riders have their saddles to far forward, not endurance riders for the most part - they on a whole are the smarter riders... becasue they RIDE and are taught how to test their horses conditions.  But some times you get horses that jig with their rear ends - some Arabs have loads of hock action and boing.  This does make the panel saddle more mobile in the rear and this can cause sensitivity.  What I find is if you can keep the rear of the saddle down, sometimes rear shims, sometimes just a tacky tack pad can keep the saddle from moving side to side, a natural wool pad, or rear rigging or a crupper to stabilize the rear help or eliminates the problem.  IF you ride a trotting horse  you have even a higher risk of this loin rubbing - as an endurance rider,  because you are posting.  so there is air-time for the saddle to lift up and down making a brush against the horses skin.  A lot of this brushing can cause a problem.  Also the rider has to try to stay centered on the saddle and not two-point the ride... but I have a quarter horse and he moves like an Arab and holds his tail just like then, he even thinks he is an arab, and I have to two-point him.  he just moves like that.  I do get a work out,  but he has a perfect back and the saddle works.  I have only done 2) 30 LD on him and both times come in 2nd.  We have to take the 15 min cool down due to his muscle mass... damn quarter horses....  ha.

But back to your problem.  I DO NOT recommend taking any panel saddle out for a 50 not knowing what it will do... I would go out another weekend and clip of 30, and then the next day another 30.  But before you do the second day, palpate him.  See how he is.  Then after the second day, on the third day palpate again.  If he passes you should be good.

Also.  if a horse is not pre-conditioned in an flexible panel saddle, the horse will have more movement that he is accustom, - unless you are riding treeless, and so some muscles will be working over time.  So taking a horse out  that is not conditioned - you may uncover in your palpation, tender gluteus, hamstrings and shoulders.

But as I say.  IF your horse is doing great in the saddle he is in and He is comfortable, and he can move and is not sore  AND  if you are comfortable.  DON"T change it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if you ride multiple horses and train new stock, then you know that there are many back changes and shapes so having one saddle accommodate all these different backs is wonderful.  And I have found that the new system 7 panels fits my program perfectly.

:-)
~ Cathy Sheets Tauer "Helping one customer at a time"
Add this link to your favorites:  www.american-flex.com
If you want a catalog of Proven Products for Horse and Rider" or to place an order call, fax and / or email your address. 507-723-5937  or toll free 866-723-5937