Re: [RC] to finish is to win?or not??? - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:55:22 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, KimFue@xxxxxxx writes:
In my eyes it doesn't matter if the rider who wins has to beat his horse to that placing with a crop or if the last place rider has to drag his horse in for that all important completion.  They are both failures in my eyes and I have much more respect for the rider who pulls his horse when it is not in the best interest of the horse to continue even if the horse passes all vet check criteria.
Well said, Kim.

Which brings to mind several horses I know of who go for the 5000 mile mark or 10000 mile mark.  Quite a milestone, to be sure,  however, when a horse is done, the horse should be DONE.

Maintenance levels of Adequan or Legend under the guise of "making a horse more comfortable" smacks as being in direct opposition to our NO DRUGS or ENHANCEMENTS for the horse in order to "compete".

To hear some say, "But (the horse) worked SO hard to get it's (milestone aggregate) it just seems to be a shame".

I know this to be true.  Names (for me) are irrelevant...it's the "intent" which is harmful.

Frank (and, yes, I've dragged a horse through a hundred before...would I in the future...maybe.)