Re: [RC] [RC] LDs "bad" for horses - Laney Humphrey

As always, Karen's answer is right on. I think one of the most important things she said was
It took him more time to
unlearn the wrong things, than it would have to pick it up right from the start.

Horses learn really quickly and they learn the "wrong" just as fast as they learn the "right." Karen didn't mention how she introduced her horse, Granite Chief +/ (or maybe it's /+!)to endurance. The two of them mostly walked for an entire year! Yes, it is possible to finish a 50 in time doing (almost) nothing but walking. A horse is born knowing how to go fast, it is our responsibility to encourage them to go the pace that is right for their stage of development. I agree with Karen that speeding through shorter rides is not necessarily the best thing for many horses. Going slow for a longer distance isn't necessarily always fun but your horse is much more likely to be a Decade Horse and a pleasure to ride for many of those years if it was started long and slow.
JMHO,
Laney

Dreamweaver wrote:

In the current discussion about 100 mile participation, as well in past discussions, I've heard multiple people mention that the LD rides are not the best thing *for certain types of horses*.

As someone who was planning on staying at the LD level for a while because I thought it was the "right" thing to do, and who is now thinking my horse would be more comfortable mentally with the longer distances (she just seems to settle better the longer I ride), I would like to hear more from people whose horse just weren't LD horses. Really, the only thing right now preventing me from entering a 50 is my inexperience - despite reading multiple discussions about the different conditioning approaches for 50 mile rides, I still don't know how to gauge if my mare is ready (perhaps that is the problem - one person insists you need to be riding 50 miles a week, another says they get in one good conditioning ride on the weekend - no wonder I'm confused!).

Comments?

I'm one of the riders that feels that way. Ideally, it would be nice to have a horse that can do any distance the rider wants, and will do everything right from the get go. Some horses are more mentally challenged, than they are physically---and that's why I think for some horses starting out in a longer distance, or not doing very many shorter rides, is in the horses best interest. I think that you also have to consider the rider as well, since they have to be ready to ride longer and be able to take care of their horse.

I think that sometimes the more talented horses may have a tendency to be more of the mentally challenged type. Those are the ones that can go do a 25 and breeze thru it, and learn that it wasn't really that much of a challenge for them. They can even sometimes go do a 50 and not be the least bit phased. The frustrating part I have found is that with a talented horse, you can get out there and those horses can literally breeze thru the ride, often or always receiving all A's on their vet cards. Even tho the horse is really not taking care of itself. I had one of those, and that was the last horse I'll ever start out in a shorter distance ride. Lots of riders think that if everything is okay when they go thru the vetcheck (i.e., all A's on their vetcard) that everything IS allright. That simply is not always the case. Most of the horses that I have seen crash the hardest or die had all A's on their vet cards. I saw a horse go down at a ride this year, that had better vet scores than my horse had. That is why I finally came to realize with my own horse, that I did not do him any favors by having him do a few LD rides. This was a decade ago in Rocky's case, so *most* of the LD rides then were not sanctioned (so they aren't on his record). The only thing he learned from doing those rides is that he didn't have to take care of himself because he would be done and was never phased. Then when he did move up to the longer distance rides, it took him longer to "get it". Again, he'd breeze thru with all A's, even on gut sounds which I knew was wrong as he would go 42 miles without eating. I finally got him hungry enough by riding him 100 miles in two days and that gave him the attitude adjustment he needed. I think I should have waited longer to get him started in the sport, and then started right out on a longer distance ride.

The amount of conditioning each horse needs can be different. Some horses require a lot more, and some hardly anything at all. That is where it is difficult to tell anybody over the internet what they should or shouldn't do -- nobody knows our own horses as well as each of us do and we have to be able to figure that out. Even if there were simple answers for how to condition a horse for a 50, that all goes out the window when you throw in the rider as one of the variables ;). How somebody chooses to ride or control or not control their horse during the ride can cause failure in even the best conditioned horses. I feel that it takes me a good 35 miles to really get into the groove as far as pacing goes, and that will apply if I'm riding a 100 in one day or a multiday -- once I get thru that first 'hump', then it's easier for me, and the horse, either for the rest of the ride that day, or for the rest of the week. That is partly why I never felt that doing LD rides really benefited my horses. Then again, if a horse is doing the shorter distance rides and is taking good care of itself and finishing in good shape and looks great the next day -- why keep doing them, the horse is probably ready to move up (unless of course, the rider isn't). Lots of times the horses are ready before their riders are :P

Karen
in NV