[RC] Thank you to a vet........& a question - abigail Madden

Dr. G,

I have tried with great difficulty to get my gelding to take his electrolytes without such a fuss.  I've tried "lyte now" in the syringe and even "enduramax" in the syringe and the dry that you mix.  I've mixed it with water, applesauce, yogurt, strained carrots, etc, and diluted down to almost nothing.  Its always a fight with the syringe and half of it ends up running down his face and my arm.

Some time ago you posted a neat little analogy about how you like salt on almost everything you eat, but not in one big shot.  So, I started sprinkling 1/4 dose on his senior feed.  He gobbled that down.  I began to increase the e-lytes and cut back the Sr. feed.  I can now put the full dose on top of 2 cups of Sr. feed and he will eat it all up in a flash.  Yippeeee!!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I promise to bring you my world famous (ok, No. CA famous) brownies if I ever get to go to a ride where you are vetting.

He drank like a fish on our last three day ride.  This method works great for LDs as I can dose him right before we go out and then at the vet check, but he's ready to try 50s now and I want to dose more often.

I'm thinking of taking some of the Sr. feed and adding just enough water to soften it up.  Then forming that into say 6-8 cookies.  Sprinkle the tops of those cookies with (1) dose of e-lytes and then lightly bake them to hold their shape.  I figure he can eat 3-4 cookies every hour or so.  I could do the baking right before the ride so I wouldn't have to worry about them spoiling.

Do you think the light baking would alter the e-lytes?  I checked the ingredients and they don't appear to be anything that would change (high school chemistry kicking in here).

If you have time, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, this is using Enduramax e-lytes.

Thank you in advance,

abigail
Chico, CA