[RC] S-Hack and Bits - Val Nicoson

I've ridden my mare in an S-Hack for the past 2 years
now and she's done well.  But last year I noticed that
she was chomping or clacking her teeth whenever she
was asked to check her forward speed to maintain a
steady pace.  I initially thought this was her being
anxious on the trail or nervous about being left
behind.
She's been on psture rest from a pasture kick and
we're starting to get out and about again, once I get
rid of this flu bug thing.
While leading her today near some scary tractors
working the field with her rope halter and a long
lead, I noticed she was getting irritated and *almost*
wanting to clack her teeth when I checked her forward
motion when she was eager to get back to the barn.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind
of attitude in their horse using the S-Hack?  If so,
what did you do about it...and did you change to
another type of bit?  If so, what are you now using in
the way of a bit or hack?
I'm considering using one of the Myler combination
bits that offers both a hack and bit.  Which one I
ought to go with I don't know yet.  My mare would be
considered "green" in regards to an actual bit in her
mouth.  My hands I would say would be considered low
to medium level, depending upon the situation we're
dealing with.
Thanks for any advice...wanting to keep my mare happy
while going down the trail without being "irritating"
to her in the process.
Val + Sania  (who hasn't used a bit for over 2 years)