[RC] Drain hole water deicers - Jonni

I set up a separate winter tank from the regular water trough. I researched different types of deicers, and decided the safest and best one for my situation would be the kind that installs in the drain hole, with the cord coming out from said drain hole, and inaccessible to the horses. Having geldings that like to play with things, access to a cord, or a floating heater was a recipe for disaster in my barn. I went ahead and bought a new 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough for this use. I positioned it right next to the barn, and drilled a hole in the barn wall, to run the cord of the heater through it, to plug in, inside the barn. I have to fill it with a hose, but I would rather do that, than to have been running cords and such over to the existing trough, with is freestanding in the middle of the corral area, with no power close by, and no way to make the electric cords "horse safe". At the end of the season, I actually pull this winter trough out, and store it, and save it until next season. The $100 investment was well worth it, as I no longer break ice, but I also feel they are safe with this set up. Horses and electricity do not mix well. knowing my horses would play with cords and things made me compromise to having to run a hose to fill the new tank. The other excellent solution is one of the solar heaters. I have heard some folks have had great success with them. Here is my cost, and a link to the drain hole heater I purchased. They are available at most feed stores, and "Tractor Supply" type stores.

Drain hold heater $32
100 gal. Rubbermaid $60

Jonni