[RC] Our Two Puppies, Conclusion - Howard Bramhall

The afternoon Erica left to go pick up Diamond, I was feeling a little depressed. I had, after making several phone calls, obtained the name and extension of the person who was ?checking me out.? She had yet to return any of my calls. I stopped calling her, figuring if she thought I was a ?whacko,? it might reduce the chances of me getting Timmy.

I was up on our roof doing a little repair work (we starting having some leaks after Hurricane Charley) and heard the phone ring. Since I was kind of waiting for ?that phone call? I almost fell of the darn roof hurrying to get down in time to answer the phone. It turned out to be Erica and she said to me, ?Come down here and get your dog.? Life, between hurricanes, is good. Lol.

Well, now my life has changed completely. These two guys, Diamond and Ruff, follow me everywhere and are even more insecure than I am. We changed Timmy?s name to Ruff. It was Jennifer?s idea and I agreed to placate her and have her feel she was a part of all this, because, she sure was gonna be.

I used to sleep in, stay up late, type on the computer, and not get up till around 9am or so. Haha. Those days are now over. Puppies get up at daybreak. It doesn?t matter what time daybreak is, but, when the sun is present, puppies get up and so does everyone else in the house.

Ruff and Diamond are rarely apart from each other. I?ve never owned two dogs before and, after this, there will always be at least two. It?s completely different and I even found myself feeling a little guilty of not having another dog for Taffy to play around with. These two guys are hysterical. I could watch them, and, sometimes do, play all day long.

Ruff is so much bigger and I find myself always yelling at him to get off of Diamond. ?Ruff, Ruff, get off her. Ruff, come here. Ruff, COME HERE.? So much activity, non stop, and, just when you think you?ve had enough of the two of them, they lay down next to you and fall asleep. Puppies must take twenty naps a day. It?s amazing.

But, don?t allow this false sense of security, when they?re sleeping, to cause you to put down your guard. I made the mistake of napping on the couch with them yesterday and when I woke up, one of my hiking boots that I had left in the room was ripped to shreds. Pieces of the tongue from this boot were in tiny little balls, like separate mini sponges, all over the room. I looked at the two of them and really didn?t know who did it. Diamond had such a sad look on her face, you just knew it could not have been her. But, Ruff, he always gets blamed for things like this (usually cause you catch him doing them), so, I didn?t want to accuse him just cause he was bigger and stronger. I had a feeling it was something they might have cooked up together. ?Look, the big guy?s sleeping, man, now is the time we can really have some fun.? ?Ruff,? says Ruff, in agreement.

A test of true love is picking up puppie poop and knowing this probably won?t be the last time you do this. A result from this test is watching the two of them, sleeping, next to each other, with Ruff snoring, and, Diamond resting her head on his back as if it were her pillow. Sometimes, they will run after things while dreaming, the way puppies do, moving their feet through the air, both of them seeming to chase the same thing, and, you find yourself wondering if they ever do catch whatever it is they?re after.

I know that I?ve caught what it was I was searching for, what it was I needed, after Taffy was no longer a part of my physical life. These two, Diamond and Ruff, will be around to keep that dream running every day, hopefully, for a very long time.

When I picked up Jen from school the other day she said to me, ?We now have eight animals. Eight animals.? I know, Jen. Ain?t it cool!

Well, that?s it. The End. I had to cut it kind of short because this deadly hurricane is bearing down on my butt and it may be time to run soon. With six horses and a three horse trailer, running requires some advance leg work, so, please forgive me for not turning this story into another one of my endless tales. For those of you who have written to me personally, about Taffy and all, God love ya. I loved her so much, it still hurts a great deal. Our two puppies sure are helping to heal that pain, but, I miss her all the same.

cya,
Howard

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx