[RC] Shoes and a flat hoofwall - k s swigart

Howard said:

The other problem I have with the shoe is, on a shod foot,
the hoof wall that meets the shoe has to be, or should be,
perfectly flat.

It most certainly does not, in fact my shoer trims down the quarters
slightly so that the surface that contacts the shoe is slightly concave.
The purpose for doing this is it prevents what Howard mentions:

Those blown out quarters that happen with horses shod
all the time are caused by those nails. It weakens that
section of the hoof. With a barefoot horse, the hoof wall
does not have to be pefectly flat. You can file down the
quarters to the sole, and let that part of the hoof wall
rebuild itself.

You can do this before you put shoes on too.  Lots of shoers do, and, in
fact, it is one of the basic premises of Gene Ovenick's four point trim
(which, if you ask me, many people over-use).

And I have certainly known of plenty of horses whose hooves are so
chipped and cracked up from having gone barefoot for too long :) such
that there is no way to make the hoof wall flat before nailing on a
shoe.  In these instances (depending on how cracked up the hoof wall is)
the nails may need to be driven a little higher to get it to stay on, or
a nail in that area just gets left out entirely because there is no hoof
wall to nail into :).

It is a mistake to think that the hoof wall needs to be flat in order to
put a shoe on.  What a farrier should do is to trim the horse's hoof as
if it were barefoot and then nail the shoe on.

kat
Orange County, Calif.