[RC] Shoeing options? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tracy Scheinkman arabs4sprt@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I apologize for opening a can of worms (and also for not using
hard <cr>s with my post).  I haven't been reading Ridecamp for
quite a while and didn't realize this was a panic button type
question.  I did do a search of the archives and realized
when I did that that most questions were directed at something
like 'are these good shoes?' 'which are the best plastic shoes?'
and 'should we shoe with metal shoes?' types of questions.  I
thought my question was different enough and specific enough
that it didn't really fit into any of these or other questions
regarding shoes and I'm really not trying to start an argument
between those who favor metal shoes and those who don't.

So hopefully you won't mind if I ask this question:  Under the
conditions mentioned previously (mare with good feet, rocky sandpaper Arizona
ground, and large patches of slick granite in the Sedona, AZ area) what options
are recommended?  I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have
actually ridden in the Sedona, AZ area.  And I also want to hear from
people who have found a viable alternative under Arizona conditions to regular
shoes.  Maybe there isn't an alternative
but I want to explore the options.  Any and all options
(including metal shoes)will be looked at with an equal grain of
salt.  Also if you do recommend metal shoes please be specific and answer the
slick rock question as I have never ridden over so much slick rock before and
am worried about slipping.  My regular riding area is Tucson, Arizona, where we
have chunks of rock, gravel, and sand, but relatively little slick rock.
Sedona is way different!  Please keep this civil, again I'm
not looking to start arguments.  Thanks!

Tracy Scheinkman
Misty Mountain Arabian Sport Horses
Tucson, AZ