[RC] The XP2004 Adventure - Home Now - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laura Hayes mark@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My email is not working so I am posting as a guest....

I'll start at the end - we arrived home at 4 AM today after driving straight
for over 700 miles.  The former back window of the NEW GMC one ton is covered
in black garbage bags and taped on all the edges, the stand that holds the
trailer up is in the back of the truck - it's welds broken, the whole rig,
inside and out, is covered in Nebraska sand with a layer of Wyoming mud
underneath, the living quarters smells of dirty sneakers and wet laundry from
four people, two cats and a dog, and the crew is still bleary eyed at 4:00 in
the afternoon.  BUT WE HAD THE BEST TIME!!!!!

Let's go back a couple weeks.  I think the last time I posted was July 15 and
we were in the South Pass Historical Area in WY.  We were camped in a meadow
surrounded on two and a half sides by beautiful climbable, 100 foot rock
formations.  The rocks were perfect for cell phone reception and to just get
away from it all!!

We were there for four days and by the third day the wind stopped blowing.  My
goodness the wind can blow in WY!  The kids took the truck off the trailer to
take it to the Salt Lake airport and pick up my niece, Carly, from Boston, who
was joining us for the rest of the trip, and to get it serviced. After
returning 'home' with Carly and hitting the sack that night, the 14,000 pound
Mothership fell off it's jack stand and crashed to the ground!!!  I jumped out
of my 'dinette' bed, Bryan hit his head on the ceiling, getting out of the
bunk, and we raced outside.  The mares, tied to the back, just stared at me as
I ran around the corner and shined the light in their eyes.

When I realized what happened and that the girls were all right, I went right
back to bed with the Mothership in an angled dive position!!  It is amazing how
unimportant that was to me as long as my horses were alright!  The bottom line
was that the jack stand broke right off the trailer and we tossed it in the
back to be welded when we got home!  Thank you to Steve and Howard who worked
hard to jack it back up and get it on the truck.

The trails in WY were fabulous.  We headed up over the Medicine Bows one day to
Esterbrook, WY.  The 50 miles took me almost 12 hours on my formerly colicy
mare, Equal Terms.  I had thought she was suffering from a bladder stone, but
she seemed ok and I wanted to see if I rode slow, if she would show any
discomfort.  She was great--So I formulated a plan to ride her every day for
the last week.  The only 5 day horse and rider team we had was in the first
week- Don Funk and his great little Mustang Stallion, Geo.  They had since gone
home and no one else had accomplished the five day pioneer event.

The last week was mainly in Nebraska and we had to deviate from the Pony Trail
as the planted fields, irrigation systems and ranches took up the countryside.
After a beautiful canyon near Scott's Bluff, we navigated mostly dirt roads
through farmland -sometimes in the pouring cold rain, until reaching the
Rushcreek Ranch and heading cross country on Friday afternoon.

I started slow each day, though convincing the speedy and ever-ready E that we
could do it this way was a chore!  I have to appoligize now to everyone I rode
with for the first two hours of those days - I don't really swear so much,
honest!

To avoid any stomach trouble, I took her off of every supplement, all
electrolytes and fed her JUST good senior feed, beet pulp, hay, and all the
grass I could get her to eat on the trail. To make a long story short, we
negotiated the roads and canyons and pastures all the way to Rushcreek on
Friday, winning the 5 day award and BC.  She looked fabulous and dragged me
into camp each evening and jigged out each morning.  No trace of her former
illness - thank goodness.

I finished the trip with 905 miles according to Duck- I had lost track!  I was
the second highest mileage rider next to the fabulous Dave Rabe who rode every
mile - 1250!!  My mare Equal Terms had 450 AERC miles, baby Allure had 200, and
Fly had 300 - 100 of those put on by Marcy Cunningham who rode her with E and I
the last Wed and Fri. I had additional 'club' miles on days I chose to not go
the whole route, that made up the rest of the 905.

I returned home with three sound and happy mares, three kids who had the
adventure of a lifetime, and my own happy memories.  The Mothership will take
days to hoe out, the credit card bills will arrive, and I will have to go back
to work....but it was all worth it.

Some answers to FAQs....
    1.I took 500 pounds of extruded senior feed that was alfalfa based, had
beet pulp in it, and 8% fat.  I bought four more bags of pelleted senior feed
along the way and added that to the younger mare's feed-keeping the older mare
on the extruded feed for the duration of the trip.  I fed copius amounts of
beet pulp.  I fed 6 to 8 times a day, getting up at 11, 1AM and 4:30AM to feed.

    2.  I took 20 bales of new grass hay (I had an 8x8 foot mid tack) from
home and bought several bales of alfalfa and mixed hay along the way, trying to
feed the alfalfa sparingly.

   3.  I tied the girls to the trailer, or used a high tie from the trailer to
the car roof rack.  On weekends we set up the Corral 2 Go and rotated the girls
in and out of it.

   4.  We had NO trouble with scratches despite more than half of the feet we
had with us were white.  I did desitin on a hit or miss basis...

I know there is more I want to write, but I am more than a little whooped right
now.  Maybe I will write a story about some of the most memorable
moments--there sure were alot!

Laura Hayes and Team Estrogen--now out to pasture for awhile enjoying the lush
NY grass!