[RC] Testing Saddle Fit - k s swigart

With respect to methods used to see how well a saddle fits, not just
statically but dynamically I have a simple way of doing it.

If I have to tie the saddle on the horse, it doesn't fit right. :)

I am serious about this.  In my experience, if a saddle fits right and
the rider is riding right, then you don't need straps (girth, breast
collar, crupper) to keep the saddle in place.

I am willing to concede that there are some horses with backs conformed
in such a way that there is no saddle that will stay in place without
being tied in place.  However, I contend that this just means that there
is no saddle that fits that horse well and that horse's owner (if s/he
wants to use that horse for a saddle horse) will just have to "make do"
with one that doesn't fit quite right and that saddle fit is going to be
an ongoing issue with that particular horse.

I am also willing to concede that there are some riders who don't/can't
"ride right" such that they can't keep the saddle in place without tying
it in place.  However, I contend that this, too, means that the rider is
going going to have to "make do" with a saddle that just doesn't fit
quite right and that saddle fit is going to be an ongoing issue for that
particular rider :).

So, if you ask me.  The key to good saddle fit is two fold:

1. Buying/breeding horses that have a good place to put a saddle (and
horses that don't meet this description can be used as driving horses
instead :)).  I have long since come to the conclusion that a good back
is the key to a good riding horse, and a good place to put the saddle is
essential in a good endurance horse.

2  Learning to ride in such a way that you are balanced on the horse
well enough that the saddle doesn't shift around excessively (or, more
accurately, it shifts back and forth but only slightly) while the horse
is moving....at all gaits.

I perform this test with horses, riders and saddles all the time.  And
while the information doesn't come in the form of numbers, it can still
tell you a hell of a lot about whether you have any saddle fit problems,
and just where those problems lie.

kat
Orange County, Calif.