Re: [RC] QUESTION RE LONG DISTANCE SPEED OF HORSES - rides2far

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:55:43 -0600 (MDT) <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
What about the ultra-marathons held at Tevis and Vermont? Are the
horses
& runners anywhere near each other at the end of *really* long
distance?
I've seen video of a few of those races and lots of the runners
would
never get out of a vet check as "fit to continue".  Also, to
*really*
make if an equal comparison you'd also have to make the runner
carry an
equal percentage of his body weight that the horse is carrying.

I've already e-mailed Jim privately, but the thing that comes to
mind to
me in most of these comparisons is that one is comparing a human at
the
absolute pinnacle of capability to a horse that may be "pretty good"
but
is not of comparative caliber in the equine world.

The horse population at large could out-do the human population at
large
any day of the week, and I'd wager on the horse if one pitted the
handful
of really top-notch horses against the handful of really top-notch
humans.

This is already an apples-to-oranges comparison, but at least let's
compare apples and oranges that are both ripe enough to be
worthwhile.

Heidi

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long