From: "Ed & Wendy Hauser" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: [RC]   Horse Energy/Mitochondrial Inheritance...

The Bedouins supposedly were extremely concerned about the tail mare.  = This is a good reason.  I often tell people that 73.2% (or 78.1% or some = other odd number over 50%) of a horse comes from the mare line.  The = reason is that in American practice we often emphasize the Stallion when = the mare is actually more important.

The Mitochondria, that are the energy factories in the cells, are almost = exclusively from the  tail mare.

There are also other things that go through daughters, not sons.  = Scientific American had an article a few years ago "When greatness skips = a generation" that followed this in TB's.  It was brought up because = Secretariat was such a disappointing sire of fast horses.  I have = noticed that he is starting to show up in fast TB pedigrees, but haven't = looked to see if it his daughters that are responsible like was = predicted in the article.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser