Re: [RC] Not having done a 100 - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Having been partly raised by my skeptical Grandfather, (At the time Dad was
busy dealing with the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy) I always look at not
only the experience of the person giving the advice, but also at their
reasons for the advice and whether it makes sense in relation to my other
knowledge.

This almost backfired when I started learning distance riding.  One of my
"experienced" (lots of 100's and an odd ROC or two) mentors did some things
differently than many distance riders.  For example, she was one of the
first to supplement electrolytes during a ride.  When I would ask why she
did so-and -so, her reasons never made any sense, and in fact the reasons
were sometimes plumb wrong.  After asking other experienced people
(especially ride vets), I found that her advice was correct, she is just a
person who has no idea as to why things work.  Then I started using her
advice as a starting point, and asked others questions  to find out how and
why a certain practice worked.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland