RE: [RC] [RC] Biltmore 4? - Laurie Durgin

Wonder if it could be related to the 'sudden early heat'? in the season. I was amazed today when I took my horses fly sheets off, that they had some sweat on their flanks.( NE Georgia.) They usually don't get this till mid summer heat/humidity.
We have only had these two "hot days" this last month . And then a couple in March.

Not acclimated yet for 'heat/humidity spikes", like at Biltmore?

By the 2nd check horses started to drop out?and there seems to be a pattern, lots of tight in the rear descriptions. Talked to one of the riders who said she was walking the hills, riding smart and this was her horse?s first problem like this. Talked to another running top 10 in her first 100 whose horse was trying to tie up at 40 miles or so. He?s a mountain horse who is used to the hills and used to speed. Biltmore Syndrome strikes again. Maybe we?ll get some clues from the AERC EKG research they?re running. I think they were going to run bloodwork on some of these horses even though they hadn?t been participating in the study. (I?m repeating things that I?m guessing, or may have heard wrong, all comments should be taken not as fact)

One vet who is riding voiced concern at the number of exit exams taking away from the horses?s down time. I?m afraid that if in fact several horses are pulled for being stiff at them the riders will further cut back on the eating & resting time by having to keep them moving.

The heat is pretty intense. We?ll see who lasts. The winners of the 50 came in. I gave that info to John. The most amusing thing I saw was Junior Samantha Thomson having to drink over 2 pints of water to make weight at the end. The amusing part was that she seemed to have no trouble downing it. Hope she never gets in a chug a lug contest.

Poor John can't follow what I'm trying to tell him on the times. I find the difference in arrival & P&R times to be the most interesting way to try to predict how the horses are really doing. So...Josie is stationed with the in-timers taking names & times, Bonnie & I are looking over the shoulder of the P&R in timers. Then we compare and see who recovered in least time. Dinah Rojek was fascinated reading it and suggested I make copies of my list for the vets doing the research. As I walked by those guys I showed them on my list a horse I haven't seen but I thought they'd be seeing soon. Its name came round on the next pull list and I said "Told ya so". >

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins

Express yourself with the new version of MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people ~ Karen Chaton