RE: [RC] [RC] Mixing the two - Diana Macdonald

All of our show horses can and have competed CTR and all of our CTR/END horses can and have shown. All our show horses are hacked out to keep their minds fresh in the showring and our trail horses are schooled in the ring for aids and response to human pacing, turning, etc.

We generally have specific bits/bridles for the rides that isn't the same as our show equipment. Some horses actually even do the two in the same bits/bridles, only because they go best in that piece of equipment.

Might be tough the first couple of times with a Western Pleasure horse but not impossible, trying to get them to settle slow in the showring after being opened up out on trail. You need to set different cues and commands so they know the difference - use trot instead of jog, learn to post not sit in the saddle, 2 point at the canter (not lope).

We show and compete every weekend and sometimes twice on the same weekend (or 3 times if you include a Friday show) from the last weekend in April until Canadian Thanksgiving (early October). Mind you we have 5-7 horses to choose from. Last fall we showed all day Sat and one of the horses went out and did a 25 mile ride on the Sunday - showing took the edge of nicely!

Right now I show a mare that had only done CTR. The first couple of shows were interesting as she kept trying to pass everything in front but she soon figured it out and started doing well in the showring. She even garnered a few year end high point awards with the local Arabian horse club. We are looking forward to show/ride season #2 with this mare.

Nothing is impossible! You just have to work harder and smarter.

Diana Macdonald
Kintyre Arabians+
Ontario Canada

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano