Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Racing - heidi

Hunter: Yep, I think I'll move it.
RM: Hey, that would be a great ideal. Move it on down by mine - I've
good some beer in there and we'll watch 'em come in.
Hunter: Got a deal.

Next year same ride, old Billy Bob the hunter is out there doing his
first 25.

That's how we handle it down in God's country. We all learn to respect
each other and get along.

See, Truman, you CAN do it!!  That's pretty much how we do it up here,
too, for the most part.  One year we had something like 23 hunters down
the road from one of our Oregon desert rides.  They were kinda upset about
us until they realized that the riders kept the deer moving, and every
single one of them filled their tags.

We only have to call for backup if they get obstreperous--our permits DO
give us exclusive use of camp areas, etc.  But to my knowledge, we've
never HAD to call for back-up--we just have the authority to do so.

FWIW, ask your ranger sometime why on earth you NEED a permit if it
DOESN'T give you exclusive right to something.  Recreation permits are
like any other kind of permits--if I have a grazing permit, I can turn my
cows out there, and the permittees have the exclusive grazing rights to
the area for which they hold the permits.  If I go turn my cows out on
John Doe's area, it doesn't matter that it is "public land"--I'm gonna get
my cows moved outta there.  If I go cut timber somewhere that I haven't
been granted a timber sale, I'm gonna get fined big time or get my butt
slapped in jail.  By your rationale, I should be able to just go out there
and say, "Hey, I'm a member of the public and that's MY tree!"  (Hey,
that's not a bad idea--when I encounter one of the public's wolves down
here eating on one of my horses, I can just shoot him, and when they slap
me in jail, I can say, "Gee, I'm a member of the public, and I OWN a share
in that thar wolf, and I just shot my share!"  Bet that'll go over BIG
time in federal court...)

The whole POINT of permits in areas of heavy use is to assure that you
HAVE the use of the area for the purpose for which you intend to use it,
and some other event isn't right on top of you competing for the same
space at the same time.  It's kinda like owning a time share in a
condo--it doesn't work if all the "owners" try to go use it on the same
weekend.  The permit process is essentially a scheduling process, so that
the public can use the land without conflicts.

Heidi

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris