Re: [RC] Stick vs. Automatic - Truman Prevatt

Nope it not worse with an automatic, down shift it and let it roll. I might tap the brake every once in a while or on steep downgrades, put it down lower but no different than how I would drive a stick. With the new automatics, they actually will downshift on the fly on down hills. The mechanical engineers have come a long way in the last 10 years. There are more sensors on those new trucks than you can count on both hands and feet of an entire football team. Much of the technology that was to expensive 10 years ago is now available to the automative engineers producing engines and transmissions for these trucks.

It is technology that allows the small diesel engines to produce the output they do. It is also this technology that has allowed the building of this generation of automatic transmissions. Granted I do perfer a stick, but with the automatics that both GM and Ford are using in their 2004 trucks, there is little advantage of a stick and a lot of disadvantages if you have to drive through places Atlanta - even occasionally.

I expect in 5 years the automatic transmission technology will have pretty much overtaken the manuals in both performance and reliability. Today it is almost impossible to find a stick shift in a car. I expect in 5 to 10 years the same will be true of pickup trucks.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I sure wouldn't trust my powerstorke towing on some of the downhills in
CO without selective tapping of the brakes. A diesel in a "runaway" mode
 is not a pleasent sight - that's why the tuckers have runaway ramps.
If  I lived out West and drove a diesel, I'd sure have a "Jake brake."

It's not a matter of automatic vs. manual - once the engine is being
driven by gravity - it doesn't care what is behind it.

Oh, no argument about that--but the point is, no need to wear out your
brakes as long as the truck IS staying steady on the speed where you put
it with your manual tranny.

I suspect this situation would be even worse with an automatic, though.

Heidi

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.