Re: [RC] [RC] APF - heidi

I find it quite ironic, Heidi, that you continuously keep referring back
to  the Welfare of the Horse when, if memory serves me, you were totally
against  the formation of this Committee prior to the AERC Convention
last year.  So,  unless you've changed your mind from last year, please
tell us which hat  you're wearing now.  Drug Czar or Horse Welfare????

No, Howard, I was not "against" the formation of the committee.  I WAS
disturbed by the way people like you wanted to pretend that NOTHING had
ever been done for the welfare of the sport before in the 30+ years that
AERC had been in existence, and who seemed to want to legislate all sorts
of pie-in-the-sky things all at once.  I am not alone in having been
concerned that a committee formed in response to such emotional fervor
might not be in the best interests of actual horse welfare.  Fortunately,
cooler heads prevailed in the formation of the committee, and it has not
become the witch hunt sort of scenario that you seemed to want it to be.

If you bothered to read my posts at the time, I continuously stated that
the emphasis indeed NEEDED to be on the welfare of the horse, and not on a
legislative "feel-good" approach where a bunch of zealots went and passed
a bunch of new rules so that they could point at those rules and pound
themselves on the back about how self-righteous they are about horse
welfare.

BTW, the AERC drug rule IS one of those welfare issues that existed prior
to the formation of the HWC--ironic how some of the same folks who pushed
for the committee are now trying to shoot down some of the most important
strides that the AERC made in the past toward that very same goal.  (And
it isn't the HWC folks who are pounding the drums, either!)

Heidi

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards