Re: [RC] Conditioning help - Truman Prevatt

How old is the horse? What experience does he have? The answer is different for a 4 yo just starting, a 6 yo off the track or a 10 year old with 6 years of experience as a trail horse.

Look at the time for endurance rides - there is quite a bit of cantering going on to run the times they are doing. If you are going to canter in a ride - you need to canter in training. The ride should not be the hardest workout the horse has. Your training is dictated by how you want to ride.

Truman

Ashlee Wakeman wrote:
>From a newbie's perspective, just how much is
cantering a part of conditioning?  I will probably
start conditioning here in a couple of weeks and
although I know that I should keep to a walk and a
slow trot at first, how much cantering is involved as
time goes on?

Ashlee and Koti