RE: [RC] Deaths - the backhoe - LOUISE BURTON

 Hi All,

A couple of comments on this thread:

Backhoes:  All depends on who you know, and where you live.  My beloved horse was buried for $75.  We knew the guy and he felt sorry for me I think!  Regular backhoe charges for horses are $150.  Of course this is to bury on your place.  Most animals around here are just drug to an out of the way place.   Circle of life, ya know.

Autopsies:  Unless we know for sure why the horse died (like a broken leg) we get all of ours "posted" by our local vet.  I want to know WHY the horse died.  Maybe it can prevent other deaths.  For example, we had a horse die of colic...ruptured stomach.  When we posted him, we found a huge enterolith of persimmon pulp that had gotten stuck in his pyloric sphyncter.  We ended up spending big bucks to have a dozer come and doze our 100 acres to get rid of the persimmons, but it most likely saved the lives of other horses.

Autopsies at rides:  This will be much more of a "micro" autopsy than our "macro" ones on the farm. ...ie blood tests, etc.  I am definitely not for $$ added on to entry fees (and of course ANOTHER headache for ride managers).   This is something that is the responsibility of the rider, but I can visualize the very type of person this would happen to would not pay the fee, and most of us would have a hard time paying $500 or so to do this.  Since it doesn't happen too often, maybe there is regular "education money" from AERC

-Louise Burton

Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians

http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms