[RC] Another newbie's rambling - Karen Bratcher

My horse and I have only done four LD's, and one 50.  So that would probably qualify me as still an endurance newbie, in fact I do still think of myself as one.  But we have done many, many hundreds of conditioning miles, much of it in way harder terrain than the rides I've been to.  My "normal" horse friends think I'm insane when I say it's not worth the time to saddle up if I can't do at least ten miles.

Information is out there.  Anybody who whines about how they "didn't know" is either too lazy or too stupid to look.  Years before I entered an LD, I sent for and devoured both the NATRC and AERC manuals for riders, managers, AND vets.  I got books about endurance through interlibrary loan -- it's free!  And then bought them when I could afford to, have at least six on my shelf right now and one new purchase is on its way to me.  When we got internet I spent dozens, probably hundreds of hours exploring endurance sites.  AERC has a lot of good new information on their site and in the booklets, but if people aren't going to look for it what can you do.

I helped pulse at a ride before my first LD, watched and listened and learned.  I hunted up an experienced rider who wanted to start last and go slow, on both my first LD and my first 50, and learned from them.  I picked the brains of a friend who no longer competes but used to and took notes.  I asked questions on Ridecamp and always got lots of replies.

If any new changes are implemented that would cause me with my limited AERC experience to have to be paced, or do more LDs, or whatever, I'll never do another AERC ride.  Also any rule changes that would cost more to RMs who have to pass it down to the rider, would cause me to quit.  It already costs me at least $200 every time I go to a ride, last year I did 3.  Expensive sport for my pocketbook.  My opinion probably doesn't matter because I do so few rides anyway.

I guess my whole point is, punish the people who are hurting their horses, not the ones who aren't, whether they're first-time AERC riders or ones with thousands of miles.

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho