Re: [Fwd: Re: [RC] New Poll up] - Jim Holland

John Teeter wrote:

 > One person, one vote, majority rules, and your opinion doesn't count any
more than mine or anybody else.

OT: AERC doesn't work that way. Representative (rather than direct)
Democracy. So your vote counts a little less than Mine (b/c SE is a little
smaller than NW) and we both count about twice as much as someone in PS and
half as much as someone in SW. Plus, the only people that vote on anything
are elected board members (minus the one elected board member who happens
to be president) (and one of the NW regional directors happen to be pres,
then my voting power is cut in half:(. So trying to hook people expressing
opinions to votes is not to relevant. On the other hand, I value different
peoples opinions differently, as do you:)

Hmmm...I wasn't referring to "votes" from that perspective. I was
referring to "votes" from an "opinion" standpoint. IMHO, Heidi's
"opinion" carries no more weight than that of anyone else. As someone
once said (probably heard in the Corps) "Opinions are like
as**ho***...everybody has one. Certainly experience, age, wisdom, etc.
are a factor. However, those factors are only SOME of the things to
consider when you evaluate the value of an "opinion". I've known many
individuals who have been "horsin'" for years that I would not let pick
up my horses poop. I also know concerned, concientious, caring
individuals who have been involved in horses only a few years and have
done their "homework" who are welcome anytime.

Experience is relative. If a day goes by and you don't learn something
new, consider it a waste. There are Doctors with many years "experience"
that get their license revoked. "Experience" and "years in practice"
does NOT mean you are a great "Doctor" or have the patient's best
interest at heart. I value EVERYONE'S opinion, and everyone's right to
express it....just don't like couching it in terms of "experience and
longevity" as the only justification. That doesn't impress me unless I
know you personally. I learned in the corporate world that "experience"
means only that you have been "involved" with whatever project it
is...doesn't mean you know anything about it.

 > If you're not part of the "horse death" solution, you're part of the
problem.

Part of the horse death solution is for each member to actively participate
in the appropriate management of their mounts before, during, and after
competition. Every member that does the right thing IS part of the ongoing
solution.

Agreed....but that has been tried....ain't working....good theory, but
even with DUI laws, we still have drunks driving. Time to move on.

There are a large number of (potential) further refinements to that base
solution which might be explored (and very few of these have been discussed).

I'm always open to suggestions....especially if it will benefit our
horses. Have you signed Matthew's proposal? If not, would be interested
in knowing why you DON'T support it.

IMO, excessively applying labels or categories which paint this as
black-or-white re: a single solution de jour is a distraction. We have (in
AERC):

* the Committee for the Welfare of the Horse
* the VET committee evolving their Equine Fatality Reporting procedures
* all vets and RMs sending in Treatment reports to the office (of course, we
   don't yet know what happens to them after they are submitted),
* proposed modifications to the (currently not required!!) gate-to-hold
protocol
* the education committee (et.all) producing a new riders handbook
* real data analysis underway to help with myth.vs.real evaluation
* more use of the Protest and Grievance mechanism
and
* your own work (through your regional group) concerning training and
conditioning education.

All the voices add to the cacophony through which the sport will evolve
forward. But, because the rider is alone with their mount for 80%-90% of
the time of competition, ALL administrative constraints will be
after-the-fact-oversight and much to large grained to fully address the
problem. ONLY the rider is there 100% of the time and ONLY the rider should
be held responsible in the end.

Good stuff.  Again agreed, but not enough....tell me where in the rules
AERC holds the "rider responsible" and metes out appropriate
justice.....Sorry, John, just ain't happening, IMHO. My be "implied" but
not happening.

Consider a solution which says that if the rider fails to ride
appropriately, then they will simply be DQd. Use all the criteria which
have evolved (including the one currently under discussion), but in the
end, if the Vet (or RM or P&R person) determines that the rider should have
pulled their mount but didn't, then they are DQd. In other words, ALL pulls
should be RO (the vet should NEVER have to pull a horse and if they do have
to, then it is a DQ not a pull). A DQ is the result of a rider not doing
the right thing. Any RO is a rider doing the right thing (after MAYBE
having done the wrong thing).

Great! What is "appropriate"? Specifics? Way too vague.  Matthew put his
proposal in writing....give me this "proposal" in writing and I will be
HAPPY to evaluate it, and give you my "opinion" for what it's worth.
Matthew's proposal is easily implemented and has little impact on
Endurance as we know it. KISS....Keep It Simple..works for me.

Any rider that consistently DQs is in jeopardy of being restricted from
competitions (i.e denied entry for cause as is allowed in the current rules).

 > one of the problems with this organization is that the people making the
decisions have been doing
 > that for too long.

That is likely true, the positive effects of longevity (continuity and
historical perspective), are very like more than offset by an inability to
accept change in an unbiased way coupled with long bred parochial world views.

Agreed!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

johnt

(btw: on the particular issue of the modification of the pulse criteria
measurement, It seems to me that it may affect the slow down of riders who
have a pending problem. Not all problems will be noticed, (for example,
Adios at the PanAm would not have been effected by this rule as he pulsed
down within the suggested 15 min interval). I think in conjunction with
extending the hold time, requiring an exit CRI, and removing the hold times
from the overall competition time should also be integrated into the
solution...)

Adios was a special case...grapevine has it that he was saved
once....but I agree with that as well.  Again, let's keep it
simple....the more "stuff" you add, the harder it is to get ANYTHING
done. Congress is a perfect example.  Matthew's proposal is simple, has
the least impact, and "won't hurt, might help". What say we try it?