[RC] [Guest] Kerry Ridgeway &other heros - Ridecamp Moderator

Jeanne Pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx
Ridecamp has been an interesting read but though I've been tempted to join have resisted due to the volume of e-mails that result..so, never responding,except in my head am venturing to add a few comments from one who's very first endurance ride was the 1980 Tevis ,and yes,I finished!(Thanks due entirely to my magnificent(and forgiving horse)).Enough said,I now have nearly 4000 miles ,many Top Tens and Best Conditions ,but what has brought me to my keyboard is the name Kerry Ridgeway.Such a flood of memories.He is one of the folks that inspired me in my early days,along with Joe Long,Julie & Bob Suhr,Becky Hart,Maggie Price,Margjorie Pryor(on the wonderful one eyed,Fritz!)and Mae Schlegel who's hand I held when we crossed the finish at The Race of Champions.(She was 72 and her horse was 20!)There were many others that I watched and tried to learn from over the years but they all had one thing in common.Though they were all fiercely commpetive they all had the welfare of their horse utmost in their minds at all times.Those riders out on the trail today can learn much from this type of competitor.There is no endurance without the horse and it is a team endeavor.Lose tract of that and we've lost everything.
Oh yeh,I think Kerry Ridgeway was one of the first guys to wear panty hose under his pants while competing and rode the Great American Horse Race in 76 across the USA.What a guy!