Re: [RC] this and that - JUDYK89

I know the local feed store in Del Mar, Mary's Tack and Feed have been the ones coordinating horse rescues and information.  They may have a line on a good place to send donations.

Just want to say a big thank you to the people at Mary's who took the time to organize evacuation trailers.  At one point on Sunday, we were told we may have to evacuate.  I board at a ranch with 200+ horses.  The owner stated he would stay and fight the fire, but there were around 100 boarders who just wanted to get the heck out of there.  We'd been hearing stories about "brave people" being killed.  Anyway, the people with trailers left, and it left a lot of stranded horses.  We called Mary's, and they gave me a huge list of telephone numbers of people who would help us out.  I called one, and she made more phone calls, hooked up her trailers, and waited on stand by for the word.

Thankfully we didn't have to evacuate.  The service Mary's offered was invaluable.  We all were a lot less scared knowing we had options, and tons of trailers on stand by.  I wish I had the names of all the people I talked to so I could thank them personally, unfortunately I don't have them, at the time I didn't even think to ask them.

My heart goes out to all the people who had to evacuate.  There's a lot of horses who had to be evacuated many times, it seems we ran out of safe places to go.  It's going to take a long time for everyone to find horses, and then find a place to put them.

I'm also hearing there were a lot of horses lost as East County residents didn't get much notice, and some barely got out with the kids and clothes on there backs.  It's all very sad.

Judy in San Diego

PS:  I've learned having a trailer is NOT a luxury, it is a necessity, and also a responsibility to help others who DON"T have trailers.  I've heard many stories of people with trailers just moving horses day and night for the past week.  Hopefully it's almost over.