Re: [RC] 100 Milers - DVeritas

In a message dated 1/20/03 8:37:20 PM Mountain Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Personally, I divide 100's into a series of short "training rides" in my mind--I just "condition" from vet check to vet check.

   THAT has been the best way for me, too.  The horses seem to figure that out pretty fast, as well...go along, enjoy the trail and, GREAT, food, water, rest, a rub.
    Was a time that the first in weight division at a hundred received 450 points.
    For those who were competing, regionally or nationally, that was quite an incentive to do hundreds well.  It seemed that AERC recognized that doing hundreds was more than just twice the mileage of a fifty.
    I think that has changed....so, for the points-interested group, the incentive isn't there.
    I do know some who'd ride a hundred miles just to spend time on a neat trail, with a neat horse and pass the day (and night) with like-minded people.
    The rewards are still great.