Re: [RC] Fw: Arabs Of Higher esteem?? - Bette Lamore

I have owned all breeds of horses and love them all for their own specialness; however, I must say that as a breed the Arabian appears to be the most sensitive emotionally--- not as tolerant as some of the other breeds--- and this is a generalization, because my saddlebred was VERY sensitive.
Now, this is the good news and this is the bad news--- not good when faced with new situations sometimes or with situations that are contrary to the Arab's wishes-- as a breed they are probably some of the most smartest--- again, good and bad news--- they can get bored easily (especially the young ones) and may not enjoy being tied for long periods of time. Oh my quarter horse was MUCH more patient while we went in to eat brunch at a restaurant!! But then individual differences do occur.
I don't think Barbara was expressing an elitist attitude, just a general trend.
Happy trails
Bette

rackinfool wrote:

Ooohhh Barbara,
I own arabs, I love Arabs, but please, they are not any different if being smacked around as my Walkers or my Rocky Mtn.
I know this is an Arab inclined list, but to infer that other breeds may not be as sensitive is a form of equine bigotry, eh?
I hope you didn't mean it that way, but for those of us trying to compete in this sport with non arab horses, and doing very well I might add, it is disheartening to constantly have the Arabians held in such a "higher" esteem than our hard working, hard competing,intelligent, sensitive gaited breeds.
amber

    -----
    You will notice that I specifically stated that the horse we hit
    over the
    head was NOT an Arab.  I'm quite sure that I wouldn't do this to
    an Arab,
    since they have, in varying degrees, a great deal more
    sensitivity.  My post
    was not a recommendation, merely a recollection of something that
    worked in
    the past with a different breed of horse.

Barbara

    ---

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)