[RC] Fast LDs and the lack of 100 mile riders - Mike & Laurie Hilyard

To me, these are two sides of the same coin.  If I consistently ride my horse 10 miles two days a week - say Saturday and Sunday, I will have plenty of horse to clip off a 25, but not nearly enough horse for a hundred.  Not everyone is going to prioritize horse conditioning before jobs, family, or even Star Trek reruns.  If they are riding shorter distances, they are showing good sense.  Are the actual number of 100 milers down, or are they just spread over a lot more rides?  I can't imagine having enough time to condition a horse for that, even if you could maintain it once you were there by other rides. . .

Of course, anybody who remembers seeing me ride (before the kid was born, who blew horse conditioning right out of the water in terms of priorities), knows I was never out to top 10 - not being the turtle was an achievement!

Laurie Hilyard, Clare, MI  (whose first 50 back in 1993 took me 11 hours to complete - talk about endurance!)