<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Weight of horse compared to rider
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:19 GMT 2003
  • - C. Eyler
  • - DVeritas

    Re: [RC] Weight of horse compared to rider - Becky Huffman

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> preservation groups regarding this issue, it
    might be that fewer of the> preservation breeders have been sucked into the
    philosophy that breeding > for tall is a desirable thing.  I just returned
    from speaking at the
    > national Al Khamsa convention, and they have breeding philosophies quite>
    similar to many CMK breeders on this issue.  I don't want to put words in>
    anyone else's mouth, but having visited Edie Booth with her Sa'ud horses,> I
    don't see that groups like hers are striving for tall horses, either,> but
    rather trying to maintain the athletic Arab as he is.

    >to say this > is a CMK vs other lines issue is simply not accurate.  It is
    a matter of> physics and biomechanics, regardless of bloodlines.

    totally agree on this point.!

    and not speaking for Edie either, but in the years I've known her the
    emphasis has been on Preserving (reproducing) the 'old' *Desert* style
    horse, same as many other groups such as AK and CMK. Breeding criteria
    includes athletic performance, soundness over time and temperament; with
    each breeding striving to an Ideal, *not* compared to what is currently
    popular.  I consider 'Taller' to be a current fad and will continue riding
    (and breeding) horses that are mentally and physically sound regardless of
    height.

    I like taller horses just fine, but anywhere between 13.3-15.1hh is a
    non-issue to me, as a rider or a breeder.  I've ridden Thomas's stallion
    SAKB who is 15.1+ and he is awesome, but that is because of the total
    package,  not the height.  (much over that it starts getting a little hard
    for lazy me to get the saddle up there, and climb aboard)

    There are plenty of breeders producing specifically taller horses for people
    that require them, but I hate to see someone pass up a good horse because
    they are afraid somebody might snicker.

    Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
    www.TheOriginalSeries.com
    www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing
    among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn