Inbreeding

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

> Perhaps it makes sense to us because we pay attention to the
> quality of the animals we are inbreeding.   As should ANY breeder pay
> attention to the quality of the animals to be bred (and I will admit,
> not all breeders do this).    Also, the situation being discussed in
> the previous post is called "linebreeding" by most breeders;
> "inbreeding" is father/daughter, mother/son, full-siblings.

In the Thoroughbred world, any horse is considered to be inbred if it
has the same horse more than once in its four-cross pedigree.  In TB
parlance, the foal resulting from the previous mentioned cross would be
inbred 2x3, but if people want to call it linebreeding to make them feel
better about not inbreeding because the word has negative connotations
to it, that is fine with me. But, no matter how you slice it, breeding a
daughter to a grand son is breeding closely related individuals.

> So, in the breeders' use
> of the terms, both inbreeding and linebreeding, done wisely, work
> quite well. The rule of thumb is that you get what you breed: breed
> "good to good, you get good; breed bad to bad, you get bad".   (This
> is not to say an occasional recessive gene won't crop out---but can
> you say that won't happen with "regular" breeding?)

The genetic philosophy behind inbreeding (or linebreeding or close
breeding or whatever you want to call it) is to increase the incidence
of homozygosity (and if you want me to do the math to show why this is
the case I can--but it is a bit tedious and a bit difficult to follow).
The idea being that with homozygosity, future generations will breed
"truer" (i.e. more like their parents), but additionally, since many
negative traits have a tendency to be recessive traits (and therefore
need to be homozygous in order to express themselves), the practice of
inbreeding is specifically intended for the purpose of getting those
negative recessive traits to express themselves and therefore you can
remove them from your breeding herd (i.e. culling).  With the
understanding that not only to the poor quality foals have to be culled,
but the parents who threw them need to be culled to, and any other
offspring of either of those parents need to be "tested" to see if they
are also "carriers" of these negative traits.

Whatever the case may be, if you don't understand that breeding more
closely related individuals doesn't increase your chances of "an
occasional recessive gene cropping out" over outcrossing, you don't
understand the underlying philosophy of breeding closely related
individuals.

Yes, inbreeding (even breeding father's to daughters, mother's to sons,
and full siblings) can lead to some exceptional individuals (and the
whole idea behind "purebred" is that the horses are somewhat inbred with
the undesirable traits having been removed from the "breed").  But it
has to be done by people who know what the hell they are doing (i.e.
understand the underlying philosophy) and know what traits they are
trying to set and which ones they might be trying to remove from their
breeding herd.  And there are some stud farms that have practiced it
intelligently for many generations and therefore are in possession of
some truly exceptional individuals that breed on those truly exceptional
traits to their offspring.

However, the fact is that ALL horses have some genetic faults—even if
they aren't recessive traits, and if you regularly practice inbreeding
(unless you cull ruthlessly) you are going to SET those faults in your
herd (that is the whole idea behind inbreeding). The more closely
related the individuals in your herd, the less genetic diversity there
is in your herd, and THERFORE the less opportunity there is for
improvement.

Additionally, the more closely related the individuals you breed, the
higher your chances of and unpleasant recessive trait expressing itself.
Anybody who chooses to do it for a one off foal is an idiot--or just
ignorant.  And if you are going to do it, you need to find out as much
as you can about the horse that you are breeding most closely.

From my own observations, many of the people in the Arabian world who
are practicing inbreeding either a) don't understand the underlying
philosophy, b) are selecting for what I consider to be the "wrong"
traits, or c) do it because over time most of their herd is related to
each other and they already have too many horses, they aren't going to
go out an get more.  And they love all their horses and think that they
are all perfect so they aren't going to admit that they may be
something less than "breeding quality."  Not all, but many.

For me, my best broodmare is/was the mother of my breeding stallion
(because my best broodmare throws stallion quality foals--she also
happens to be the mother of a filly I have that will probably make a
nice broodmare some day, but I won't be breeding her to her brother).
Since I do not have the resources to breed tons of foals, I had to
decide which to keep, the mare or the stallion.  For sentimental
reasons I kept the stallion, so I gave away my best broodmare to
somebody who could use her to get a very nice foal from her...NOT by my
stallion.

Do I think I could have gotten a very nice individual by breeding my
stallion to his mother?  Maybe, but the risks associated with doing
that are much higher than if I choose to out cross, and I just plain
old don't have the resources to be a responsible inbreeder (either
financial or emotional), and, I contend, very few people do.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. Yes, it has been scientifically demonstrated in an assortment of
species in which the effects of inbreeding can easily be monitored
(ones with shorter generations and larger "litters" than both people
and horses so the effects can be monitored in a much more controlled
environment), that it does have a tendency to lead to neuroses (I might
be able hunt down the specific studies, but if I have to hunt too hard,
I won't bother).  So, unless you specifically select against neurotic,
you are more likely to end up with it in your inbred herd.  Very few
inbreeding programs that I have observed select against neurotic, and
in this particular instance, a "crazy" horse is what we were talking
about.