Panic attacks

For those of us who don't know it all, {:) and Sallie, there is an excellent article in The Horse www.thehorse.com/behavior about this same subject. It started in the August issue titled "Unpredictable Fear" and continues in the October issue. There is, of course lots of controversy as to how to cure it, from euthanasia to the more natural approach and starting over with ground work/round pen work. Your husband is probably right. She may be dangerous but that doesn't mean she can't be helped. It could have been a freak accident, or maybe she just needs "therapy". (going back to basics, ground work, etc.,)

My blacksmith, who has been around horses all his life, and that is a loooooong time, says there are some horses that will never be domesticated to human standards and some that are mean, will always be mean. I don't know. I am not as old as he is and don't have the experience he does. Everyone will have a different opinion.
 Then again, I know a trainer who would read all of your theories,

<(a) the saddle being too snug too quick and (b) I just had her shoes
pulled and she was standing on rough gravel and her feet hurt.  I'm
planning on changing the rigging on my saddle to be able to use a girth
with elastic in it to alleviate that claustrophobic feeling she must have had
and of course I'll be more cognizant of her footing.  I really feel that
she's just immature and needs me to help her through this.>
. ...and would tell you these are just excuses.

It is so hard Sallie, when we can't understand why horses do what they do. (It is the same with little boys, why did my 4 year old take all my make-up brushes in his room and trim them???) Always be prepared and if you want to keep the horse, look for someone you can trust to help you with your horse. If you can't completely trust your horse, you will never have a safe, fun ride again. Good Luck and stay safe. Lisa Salas, The ODD farm