Re: protein source

----- Original Message -----
From: Louise Bower
To: Susan Garlinghouse
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 7:45 PM
Subject: RC: protein source

I am interested in whey as a protein source.  I use COB and it is only 8% protein, so I want to add some protein not change my grain.  It is a straight grain mix with no additives or molasses.  I add my own supplements, and I don't know the % of protein of my hay, but it is orchard grass or timothy, no alfalfa.  I have found whey in the health food store, is this what I would use for the horse?  I have not seen any at my feed store.  I understand from another list that whey is an extremely good source of protein.  As the ridecamp gruru on nutition I would value your opinion.  Thanks, Louise

Well, no, whey really isn't much as a protein source.  It's only about 12-13% protein and is actually mostly lactose sugars---the stuff that causes digestive upset in lactose-intolerant adult animals (including humans).  I suspect if added in any appreciable amount to a horse's diet (enough to increase the protein), you'd probably have a whopping case of flatulence and diarrhea, hardly what you were looking for <g>.  The only reason it's considered a livestock feed is just because it's a by-product of the cheese-making industry and might as well feed it rather than pour it down the rat hole.  So it does have a little value as an energy feed, mostly to cattle and feeder pigs, but not something I personally would go out of my way to pay for and add to a ration.  Also, in all likelihood, your horse is already getting sufficient protein already---both orchardgrass and timothy are anywhere between 8-11% protein, which along with the grain, is fine for any horse other than a growing youngster or an early-lactation broodmare.  The only other time a little extra protein is handy is during cold weather to help them stoke the furnace a bit, in which case the excess protein creates a heat increment during digestion to raise core temperature by half a degree or so.

If you really do need to increase the protein content, then I wouldn't go with whey.  You're better off adding a bit of alfalfa, or using a grain mix with added soybean meal---they'll usually bring the protein content of the mix up to about 12 or 14%.  If you don't want to do that, then you can find a bag of a soybean-based product like Calf-Manna or Tiz Whiz or such. Those products are pretty high in protein, often 25% or more, but the amino acid profile is good.  You can  just add a cup or two of that to the ration, that'll be plenty.

Good luck,
Susan G