RE: Endurance as a team sport

Susie wrote:
>You mention that "teams are not part of Endurance Riding today".  This is
>not completely true.  I've been to a number of rides where informal teams
>compete for team awards.  I believe that PNER has a year-end team award (or
>at least they used to).  You are right that we cannot "refine our team
>strategy without practice."  However, I do not think that a group must
>necessarily practice together to learn team strategy: the practice can be
>done through participating in a number of different teams and learning how
>the basics of team strategy work.

I have heard of the PNER year-end team awards. I like the idea.
I am more interested in single event team competitions with
recognition of team placings. It would be grand if these teams
could compete in many events and get better. A whole new level
of expertise in coaching, crews, strategies and interest could evolve.
If we took that expertise to WEC...

That is more of the practice I was referring to.

Learning the basics of team strategy is good, but that is an entry
level thing. World Class competition in other sports requires practice.
I think World Class Team Endurance Riding also requires practice.

In my heart I know the existence of Endurance Teams are a case of "if
you build it they will come". Today there is no payback for building
and maintaining teams. Some groups may have some informal recognition,
but there is no serious commitment.

Scott