Re: Western Saddles for Endurance

A. Felker wrote:
>   I was reading over the AERC website and noticed it said that western saddles are the worst type of saddle to use on an endurance ride.  I use a western saddle now and it is what I like.  I was wondering how many of you use a western saddle?  Also what is everyone elses' preference?
*******************
Well, here is my view point on the positive & neutral and negative
aspects of Western Saddles for Endurance.  (Gosh, that sounds like a
title for a technical article.  Guess what I've been doing all day!)
Before starting, if you have a saddle that <truely> fits well, USE IT!
I don't care if it is from the steppes of Outer Mongolia!  You will
probably never find another one that fits, so don't give it up because
it isn't fashionable!

Negative:

1)	Heavier than most english and endurance saddles
2)	Most have a forward girth rigging (full to 3/4 rigged) that puts the
girth in the horse's elbow.
3)	The stirrup leathers are usually thicker and wider - more torque on
your legs & knees to keep your foot in position.  (Can be partially
remedied with a broom thru the stirrups to hold them in position when
not in use)
4)	The seat is often sloped, putting your weight to the rear of the
saddle rather than over the horses center of balance behind the withers
5)	The saddle horn can be <deadly>.  I've had my bra strap hooked on one
when a horse lounged up a steep embankment.  Lots of fun geting free!
Another friend fractured his breast bone & was hospitalized with a
bruised heart in the same manner
6)	LOTS of leather to clean
7)	Often times the panels are too long for a smaller, shorter backed
Arab
8)	They are REALLY heavy when you pick them up at the finish line for
that LONG hike back to your rig!

Positive:

1)	Lots of load bearing area (assuming that it fits the horse well)
2)	They'll take those featherweights up to middle weight, if they need
to.
3)	Lots of places to tie things.  (Also true of endurance saddles, not
true of english saddles unless they are modified)
4)	You'll build up muscles carrying them & putting them up on the horse.
5)	They use a standard Toklat pad - no expensive custom pads to worry
about.

Linda Flemmer