Re: probios

Beverly540@aol.com wrote:

> > Related, but not the same.  Probiotics refer to a culture of various
>  >species of the microorganisms that normally populate the cecum and large
>  >colon of horses.  >>
>          So, what product should I buy to provide these "microorganisms???
> Thanks,
> Beverly

There are lots out there, that have different species.  Most are
primarily the Lactobacillus species, which are fine, but aren't
neceesarily the bugs that are most likely to be in short(er) supply, or
those most likely to be killed off by some specific forms of stress.

My personal favorite is Fastrack, which a number of the catalogs carry.
It's JUST probios (not a bunch of other so-called supplements that you
don't need, with a pinch of probios thrown in---as you can tell, a pet
peeve of mine), and has a good balance of species.  Anything with
Yea-Sacc 1026 is also good, though you generally only find that as an
additive to feed mixes.

Susan G