Re: picket line rope

<< would like to be able to put my horse on a sliding picket line at rides.
 I have never used one before, but my horse has.

 I have the hardware required but what is the best kind of rope to use, that
 is not too expensive?  What is a useful length?  We have a local marine
 store with many types of rope available by the meter. Or there is the
 hard-ware store.

 Should I attatch him with a neck-rope?  That's all he needs around the
 barn.  I have read that you can put a weight at the end of your tie-rope so
 the slack slides away from the horse, thus no loop.  Also to put blocks at
 any ends near trees, so he does not get caught in tree branches. >>>

As to the rope, we have always used halters, but, instead of a lead rope, we
use  bungie ties.  The white ones with the black flecks through them, NOT the
black vinyl that coil like a phone cord.  Because they stretch, they don't
come close to the ground, so less fear of entanglement.  They do give enough
so that the horse can give a gentle tug to reach food and water.  The "tug"
also reminds the horse that "hey, I am tied here so lets not get a let over
this thing!"

We also use these bungies for cross ties in the barn and as a tie out at the
state park where we train (no corrals or picketing there).  Because they give,
if a horse panics, he has lots of room to "get over it" and come back to his
senses.  He also gets the feeling of release: as he quits pulling the tie
gives which helps with the panic attack itself and the human can stand at a
safe distance knowing it is unlikely the horse will break free.  I've had two
horses with a fear of being tied whose reaction to had always been to pull
until broken free.  They were both cured of this dangerous habit in one lesson
in these bungie ties. One more advantage, no knots to come undone:  emergency
release on one end, regular snap at the other.

As a sidenote, they are not 100% invincible and I suppose in reality, we don't
want any tie to be completely breakproof.  They can break, but it takes a lot.
If they do... steer clear!  They make an amazing projectile after being pulled
to capacity by a 1000 animal!

Susan