Re: Alfalfa!!

Softrider Saddles wrote:

> With all this talk on carbo loading and lots of grain and free feeding
> grass hay why don't people say anything about Alfalfa??? Horses love the
> stuff!!!
> Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

This is not meant as a slam, but you might be interested in reading back
in the archives about something I posted maybe six months ago about high
alfalfa diets---alfalfa as a high proportion of the ration is generally
excessive in protein (which, as demonstrated by Sarah Ralston's studies,
contributes to metabolic failure), excessive in calcium (contributing to
hypercalcitoninism, I can explain that again if you can't find the
explanation in the archives), and in Southwest-grown alfalfa (not a
concern for you), enterolith formation (gut stones).

Alfalfa's a fine thing, in very small amounts, and has a different
effect and function in the ration than the mostly soluble carbohydrates
we're all discussing---but you're right, they sure do love it!

Susan Garlinghouse