calculating weight

Several formulas I got from a "textbook" and wrote down in the back of
my logbook.  Sorry I dont have the author and title handy.

I think these are based on statistical studies and are expected to be
accurate
to maybe within about 10 percent.

H = heartgirth in inches
L = length from point of shoulder to point of hip in inches

H^2 is "H squared", that is H times H
H^3 is "H cubed" that is H times H times H

1)  weight (lb) =   (H^2 x L) / 241.3
            (supposed to be a good estimate for most horses in general)

2)  weight (lb)  =   H^3 x 1.4475
             (supposed to be a good estimate for adult male horses)

3)  weight (lb)  =   H^3 x  1.4341
             (supposed to be a good estimate for adult female horses)

4)  weight (lb)  =   (.1387 x H + 0.4)^3
              (supposed to be a good estimate for colts to 5 years)

5)  weight (lb)  =   (.1382 x H + 0.344)^3
               (supposed to be a good estimate for fillies to 5 years)

Glenn Foster
SE Michigan