ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: An alternate strategy for worms

Re: An alternate strategy for worms

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:55:53 -0700

I am not aware of any effects of wormers on gut bacteria. If anyone has
anything specific, please post. It seems unlikely that any drug that works
on neurotransmission would have any effect on bacteria - they don't have a
nervous system. Bugs is a pretty imprecise term. Parasites, while a lower
life form compared to mammals are a hell of lot higher than bacteria.
Anti-biotics can destroy bacteria - they are afterall designed to do just
that and they are not always specific enough to spare the good gut
bacteria.

Having said that, however, is not to suggest that there aren't potential
side effects to wormers. There is probably no clear answer where the line
should be drawn in terms of wormer frequency. Good pasture management can
probably reduce the frequency, but depending on the number of horses and
available space that can only go so far.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net