ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: conformation quiz

Re: conformation quiz

Laney Humphrey (laneyh@mbay.net)
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:36:01 -0700

Lauren -
Since quizzes usually contain a part on vocabulary: uphill=withers higher
than croup, downhill=croup higher than withers (you had it backwards).
Now on to your real question. Deb Bennett has had a wonderful series in
Equus mag on what horses are good for depending on their conformation. She
also has written a couple of book on it, availabe from the AERC office.
Basically, you had it right: horses with croups higher than withers are
sprinters (bigger engines in their butts and lower wind resistance due to
lower fronts). Uphill horses (higher at withers than croup) are basically,
riding-type horses rather than racers. They can collect and lighten their
front ends more easily. Many gaited breeds are built this way. A level or
slightly uphill conformation is better adapted to carrying weight (i.e.,
rider) over time/distance than downhill conformation is. Uphill=will get
from point A to B and back to A easily, comfortably and stay sound.
Downhill=get from point A to B as fast as possible.
Happy trails, Laney